As the name suggests, table manners refer to the common sense of etiquette on the table when eating. The problem of dining etiquette has a long history.
According to literature records, at least in the Zhou Dynasty, diet etiquette has formed a fairly complete system, praised by Confucius, and has become an important aspect of the appearance of a great country, a state of etiquette, and a place of civilization in the past dynasties.
Table etiquette content
Table manners are mainly manifested in the following aspects:
1. The etiquette of seating. Please take the guests to the seats first, and then ask the elders to take the seats next to the guests one by one, and enter from the left side of the chair. Don't move your chopsticks after you are seated, let alone make any noise, and don't get up and walk around. If there is something to say hello to the host (the one facing the door is the seat, usually arranged according to the status of the other party).
2. When having a meal, ask the elderly to move their chopsticks. When picking up dishes, eat fewer dishes that are far away from you. Don't make any noise when eating, and don’t make noise when drinking soup. Drink soup with a spoon in small sips. It is not advisable to bring the bowl to your mouth. Drink it. Drink it later when the soup is too hot. Do not drink while blowing. Some people like to chew crispy food hard and make a very clear sound when eating. This approach is not in accordance with the requirements of etiquette, especially when eating with everyone, try to prevent this phenomenon.
3. Don't hiccup or make other sounds when eating. If there are involuntary noises such as sneezing or bowel sounds, you should say "I'm sorry", "I'm sorry", "Excuse me", etc. to show apology.
4. If you want to serve guests or elders, it’s best to use public chopsticks. You can also send dishes that are far away from the guests or elders. According to the custom of the Chinese nation, dishes are served one by one. If there are leaders, elderly people, and guests at the same table, please ask them to use the chopsticks first when a new dish comes up, or take turns to ask them to use the chopsticks first to show Pay attention to them.
5. When you eat fish heads, fish bones, bones, etc., do not vomit out or throw them on the ground. Take them slowly into your own dish with your hands, or put them close to your own table or put them in advance. Good paper.
6. Take the time to chat with the people on your left and right to make a few humorous words to reconcile the atmosphere. Don't just lower your head to eat, don't care about others, don't gorge yourself, and don't be greedy.
7. It is best not to pick your teeth on the dining table. If you want to floss your teeth, you should cover your mouth with a napkin or your hand.
8. To clarify the main task of this meal. It is necessary to make it clear whether the main business is to discuss business, to connect the relationship, or to eat. If it is the former, pay attention when arranging seats, and put the seats of the main negotiators close to each other to facilitate conversation or ease emotion. If it's the latter, just pay attention to common sense etiquette and focus on appreciating the dishes.
9. When leaving the table at the end, you must thank the host, or invite the host to be a guest at your home at this time to show respect.
10. Wait for the elderly to sit down before sitting down.
11. If there are ladies at the table, they should wait for the ladies to take a seat.
12. Sitting posture should be correct and keep a proper distance from the dining table.
13. When leaving the seat, you should help the elder or lady to pull the seat.
14. Use a spoon to drink soup, never pick up a bowl to drink.
15. The method of drinking soup Scoop out the spoon from the side to the outside, and drink it from the inside to the outside.
16. When drinking soup, it is advisable to scoop less soup for the first time, test the temperature first, and taste it. Don't make a sound while drinking soup.
17. When drinking soup, do not mix the hot soup and blow it out with your mouth.
18. When the soup is scooped, it should not be taken in several mouthfuls at a time.
19. After drinking the soup, the spoon should be placed on the soup plate or the saucer of the soup cup.
20. The bread should be eaten by tearing it into small pieces. Not bite.
21. If you want to apply butter, do not apply the whole piece first. After tearing off and eating, you should tear off the small piece first, then apply it on the small piece, and take it in your mouth.
22. When tearing bread, the crumbs should be picked up on a plate, and the table should not be soiled.
23. After the meal, you must wait for the host and hostess to leave before other guests can leave.
24. cut bread with a knife.
25. If the bread is hot, you can spread the whole piece with butter first, and then tear it into small pieces to eat.
26. If the soup will bottom out, you can hold the soup plate with your left thumb and index finger, and tilt it toward the center of the table to facilitate the removal of the soup.
27. When dining in a restaurant, the waiter should lead the table.
28. Napkins are mainly used to prevent soiling of clothes, and also serve as grease stains on the mouth and hands.
29. You must wait for everyone to sit down before using the napkin.
30. After spreading the napkin, place it on the upper thighs of the knees. Do not tie it in the belt or hang it on the neckline of the suit.
31. Never wipe tableware with a napkin.
32. After the meal, it is advisable to fold the napkin and place it on the table before leaving.
33. juicy fruits such as watermelon, grapefruit, etc., use a spoon to eat.
34. Grainy fruits like grapes can be eaten with your hands.
35. If you want to vomit, you should vomit it in your palm and put it in a dish.
36. For less juicy and crispy fruits such as apples, persimmons, and pears, you can cut them into four pieces, then peel them and eat them with a knife and fork.
37. Peel and slice peaches and melons, then use a fork to eat.
38. Bananas can be cut with a knife. After peeling the skin to the sides, take a bite with a knife and cut it.
39. After peeling the tangerines in Taiwan, you can tear them off and eat them piece by piece.
40. Strawberries are mostly placed on small plates and eaten with a fork.
41. For western food, when eating fruits, the hand-washing bowl is often used. The water contained in it is often sprinkled with petals and one rose for hand washing. But remember, only use the tip of your hand to wash your hands, don't put your entire hand in.
42. It is not advisable to wipe your hands with a napkin when you have just finished eating fruits. Wash your fingers first and then dry your hands with a napkin.
43. For general cakes and pies, use a fork to divide and eat. For harder ones, use a knife. After cutting, use a fork to eat.
44. After sitting in the seat, the posture should be correct, the foot should be under the seat, and the elbow should not be leaned against the edge of the table or placed on the back of the adjacent seat.
45. You must be gentle, calm, and quiet when dining, and not be irritable.
46. At the table, you should not only care about yourself but also care about others, especially greeting the female guests on both sides.
47. Avoid talking if you have food in your mouth.
48. Tableware for personal use cannot be inserted into the public dining plate to pick up dishes.
49. you must eat with small mouths, do not stuff them with big mouths. If the food has not been swallowed, you can no longer stuff your mouth.
50. Use public chopsticks and spoons when making vegetable soup.
51. You can't spit out imported food, such as hot food, drink water, or juice to take a shower.
52. When delivering food to the entrance, the elbows should be leaned inward, and it is not advisable to spread to the sides and touch the neighboring seats.
53. When holding a knife and fork in your hand, or when others are chewing food, avoid talking to others or toasting.
54. A good eating aspect is that the food is just the mouth, not the food, the food is juice, and you can't eat it in a hurry, otherwise, the soup will drip on the tablecloth, which is extremely indecent.
55. Never use your fingers to dig out your teeth, apply toothpicks, and cover it with your hands or a handkerchief.
56. Avoid coughing, sneezing, and farting on the dining table. If you can't help but say "I'm sorry".
57. Drinking should be casual, toasting to the end, and never persuading wine, guessing, or yelling.
58. If the tableware falls to the ground, ask the waiter to pick it up.
59. In the event of an accident, if you accidentally spill wine, water, or soup on other people's clothes, you can apologize. You don't have to panic and apologize but embarrass the other person.
60. If you want to use the condiments placed in front of other guests at the same table, you should ask the neighboring guests to help pass them.
61. If the host cooks food by himself, don't forget to praise the host.
62. After eating, cutlery must be placed neatly and not messy. Napkins should also be folded and placed on the table.
63. It is not advisable to smoke while the staple food is in progress. If you need to smoke, you must first obtain the consent of the neighbor.
64. Eat in a restaurant, don't rush to pay the bill, push and pull to pay, it is indecent. If you are a guest, you cannot rush to pay the bill, and it is not advisable to pay the bill on your behalf without the consent of your friend.
65. The speed of eating should be synchronized with the host and hostess, not too fast or too slow.
66. Don't talk about sorrows at the table, otherwise, the atmosphere of joy will be destroyed.
67. When eating meat, close your lips and keep silent. If the food in your mouth is not swallowed, do not put it in your mouth again.
There are differences between China and the West in terms of food culture. Chinese people prefer to go to teahouses because they can taste more types of dim sum and dishes. Although the teahouses have tables for two, most of them serve four or more people. A dining table for diners. Tea houses are usually very noisy, and the atmosphere is not as romantic as Western restaurants. If two people have a meal, consider not going to the tea house.
The etiquette on the Chinese table boils down to the following points:
First, the etiquette of sitting. Guests are invited to take their seats first, then the elderly are invited to take their seats, and the guests take their seats in turn. When seated, enter from the left side of the chair. Do not move the chopsticks after seated, let alone make any noise, and do not get up and walk around. Say hello to the host if there is anything.
Second, when eating. Ask the guests and the elderly to move their chopsticks first. Each time you pick up dishes, eat fewer dishes that are far away from you. Don't make any noise when eating, and don't make any noise when eating soup. Use a spoon to drink the soup in small sips. It is not advisable to bring the bowl to your mouth to drink. When the soup is too hot, drink it after it is cold. Do not drink while blowing. Some people like to chew food when they eat, especially when they chew crispy food hard to make a very clear sound. This approach is not in accordance with the requirements of etiquette. Especially when eating with many people, try to prevent this phenomenon.
Third, don't hiccup or make other sounds when eating. If there are involuntary noises such as sneezing or bowel sounds, you should say "I'm sorry," "I'm sorry," or "Excuse me" to apologize.
Fourth, if you want to serve guests or elders, it is best to use public chopsticks. You can also deliver dishes that are far away from the guests or elders. According to the custom of our Chinese nation, the dishes are served one by one. If there are leaders, elders, or guests at the same table, ask them to use the chopsticks every time a new dish comes up, or take turns to ask them to use the chopsticks first to show their importance.
Fifth, when you eat fish heads, bones, bones, etc., put it on your own plate or put it on a prepared paper.
Sixth, take the time to chat with the people on the left and right to reconcile the atmosphere. Do not eat no matter what others bareheaded, and do not gobble to eat a big meal, not a jail sentence.
Seventh, it is best not to pick your teeth on the dining table. If you want to floss your teeth, you should cover your mouth with a napkin or your hand.
Eighth, we must clarify the main task of this meal. It is necessary to make it clear whether the main business is to discuss business, to connect the relationship, or to eat. If it is the former, pay attention to placing the main negotiator's seats close to each other when arranging seats. If it's the latter, just pay attention to common sense etiquette and focus on appreciating the dishes.
Ninth, when leaving the table at the end, you must thank the host, or invite the host to be a guest at your home in return.
- When you are invited to a banquet, you are probably more interested in the people at the same table and the conversation at the table than in the food. Therefore, when eating, there should be as little noise and movement as possible.
- When the hostess picks up the napkin, you can also pick up your napkin and put it on your lap. Sometimes a small piece of bread is wrapped in a napkin; if that's the case, take it out and place it on a small dish nearby.
- If the napkin is very large, put it on the lap in two layers; if it is small, open it all. Never put a napkin on your collar or vest, or rub it in your hands. You can wipe off the oil or dirt on your mouth or fingers with the corner of your napkin. Never use it to wipe knives, forks, or dishes.
- Dinner usually starts with soup. The largest spoon in front of you is the spoon, which is next to the plate on your right. Don't make the wrong use of the spoon in the middle of the table, because it might be used for vegetables and jam.
- Guests are not allowed to eat any dish before the hostess picks up her spoon or fork. The hostess usually waits until every customer has the dishes before starting. She will not ask you to eat first, as is customary in China. When she picks up the spoon or fork, it means everyone can do the same.
- If there is a fish dish, it is mostly served after the soup. There may be a special fork for fish on the table. It may also be similar to a fork for eating meat. It is usually smaller. In short, the harpoon is placed in the meat. The outer side of the fork is the side farther from the disk.
- The fish bones are usually removed before the fish is served. If the piece of fish you eat has thorns, you can hold a roll or a piece of bread in your left hand and a knife in your right hand to remove the thorns.
- If there is a thorn in the mouth, it should be taken out with your fingers quietly, as inattentively as possible, and placed on the edge of the plate, not on the table, or thrown on the ground.
There are many etiquettes that should be noted on the table, and these etiquettes are often overlooked.
(1) Seating and leaving
1. Wait until the elders are seated before they can sit down.
2. If there is a lady on the table, wait for the lady to take a seat before taking a seat. If the lady's seat is next door, please greet the lady.
3. After the meal, you must wait for the hostess and hostess to leave before other guests can leave.
4. Sitting posture should be correct and keep a proper distance from the dining table.
5. When dining in a restaurant, the waiter should lead the table.
6. When leaving the seat, you should help the elders or women to pull the seat.
(2) The use of incense towels
1. Napkins are mainly used to prevent soiling of clothes, and also serve as grease stains on the mouth and hands.
2. You must wait until everyone is seated before using the napkin.
3. Napkins should be spread out and placed on the upper thighs of the knees. Never wear a belt or hang on the neckline of a suit.
4. Never wipe tableware with a napkin.
(3) General etiquette on the table
1. After sitting in the seat, the posture should be correct, the foot should be under the seat, and the elbow should not be leaned against the edge of the table, or the hand should be placed on the back of the adjacent seat.
2. Meals must be gentle and elegant, calm and quiet, and not irritable.
3. At the table, you should not only care about yourself but also care about others, especially greeting the female guests on both sides.
4. Avoid talking if you have food in your mouth.
5. Tableware for personal use cannot be inserted into the public dining plate to pick up dishes.
6. You must eat with small mouths, don't stuff them with big mouths, and don't stuff your mouth after swallowing food.
7. Use public chopsticks and spoons when making vegetable soup.
8. If you eat imported food, you can't spit it out, such as hot food, you can take a shower with water or juice.
9. When delivering food to the entrance, the elbows should be leaned inward, not straight to the sides, touching adjacent seats.
10. When holding a knife and fork in your hand, or when others are chewing food, you should avoid talking to others or toasting.
11. Good food is to eat food, not only food. The food is juicy and should not be rushed into the mouth, otherwise, the soup will drip on the tablecloth, which is extremely indecent.
12. Never use your fingers to dig out your teeth, use toothpicks, and cover them with your hands or a handkerchief.
13. Avoid coughing, sneezing, and sulking at the table. In case you cannot help, you should turn around and sneeze, wrap it in a towel, and say "I'm sorry".
14. Drinking alcohol should be casual, toasting to the end of the ceremony, and never persuading wine, guessing, or yelling.
15. If the tableware falls to the ground, ask the waiter to pick it up.
16. In the event of an accident, if you accidentally spill wine, water, or soup on other people’s clothes, you can just apologize. You don’t have to panic and apologize, which will embarrass the other person.
17. If you want to use the condiments placed in front of other guests at the same table, you should ask the neighboring guests to help pass them. Do not stretch your hands and drive them.
18. If the host cooks food by himself, don't forget to praise the host.
19. If the food is unclean or smells, it should not be swallowed. The food should be taken out lightly with the thumb and index finger and placed on the plate. If you find that you have not eaten yet, and the dishes still on the plate contain insects and gravel, don't make a fuss. The waiter Yihou approaches and gently informs the waiter to change.
20. After eating, cutlery must be placed neatly and not messy. Napkins should also be folded and placed on the table.
21. When the staple food is in progress, it is not suitable to smoke. If you need to smoke, you must first obtain the consent of the neighbor.
22. It is indecent to eat in a restaurant and not rush to pay the bill. If you are a guest, you can't grab the bill. It is not advisable to pay the bill on behalf of the friend without the consent of the friend.
23. The speed of eating should be synchronized with the host and hostess, not too fast or too slow.
24. Don't talk about sorrows at the table, otherwise, the atmosphere of joy will be destroyed.
(4) Sitting etiquette
If the banquet is held as the host, the host and host should sit in the middle of the long table and face each other. As the host, you have to invite all guests to sit one by one. Regarding the order of inviting to sit, the first person who arranges to sit should be the female companion of the VIP. The seat is on the right-hand side of the host, and the VIP sits on the hostess. Right-hand side.
If there is no special distinction between subject and object, unless there are elders present and they must be courteous, ladies can be generous to sit first, and a polite gentleman should also wait for the girls to sit down before entering.
When you go out to eat, you will inevitably carry your bag with you. At this time, you should put your bag between your back and the back of your chair instead of just putting it on the table or the floor. After sitting down, you should maintain an upright posture, but you don't have to be as rigid as a wooden person and pay attention to keeping a proper distance from the dining table.
When you need to leave the seat halfway, it is absolutely necessary to say hello to the person at the same table. Men should also stand up and show politeness. Even if the elder or woman who is leaving the seat is left behind, they must also help drag the seat.
After the meal, you must wait for the host and hostess to leave before other people can start leaving.
(5) Eating meat
When cutting a steak, you should cut it from the outside to the inside. Cut it into pieces and eat one piece. Please do not cut it into pieces at a time for convenience. This is not only a lack of temperament, but it will also cause the loss of delicious meat juice. It is a pity; When cutting the meat, the size should be moderate. Don't cut too much so that there is a danger that the mouth cannot be closed. When chewing food, be sure to close your mouth to avoid making any noise, and do not take the food in your mouth until you have swallowed it.
(6) Eating shellfish seafood
Shellfish seafood should be picked out by holding the shell in the left hand and the fork in the right hand. When eating fish fillets, you can eat with a fork in your right hand and avoid using knives, because the delicate fish can easily be chopped up and become difficult to clean; when you encounter a whole fish, eat the upper layer of the fish first, then use the knife Use a fork to remove the fish bones and avoid turning over. When eating lobster, use your fingers to remove the shell and eat.
(7) Eating fruits
Fruits with more moisture should be eaten with a small spoon. For peaches and melons, the restaurant will peel and slice first, and you should use a small fork to eat. Strawberries are mostly placed on small plates and can be eaten with a spoon or fork. In addition, when eating fruits, the restaurant usually provides a wash box with petals or lemons inside. For washing hands.
(8) Eating desserts
For general cakes and cakes, use a small fork to divide and eat. For the harder ones, use a small fork to divide and eat. As for ice cream or pudding, you can use a small spoon to eat. If you encounter small pieces of hard biscuits, you can take them directly.
(9) Drinking soup
When drinking soup, use a spoon instead of holding up the entire bowl to drink. When drinking soup with a spoon, the spoon should be scooped out from your own side. Avoid mixing the hot soup or blowing it cold with your mouth. It is the minimum politeness to avoid making a sound when drinking soup. When the soup is almost finished, you can hold the soup plate with your left thumb and index finger and tilt it outwards to take the soup. After drinking the soup, the spoon should be placed on the saucer of the soup plate or cup.
(10) Drinking coffee and tea
When drinking coffee or tea, the restaurant will definitely attach a small spoon. Its purpose is to disperse sugar and creamer, so try not to use the spoon in the sugar bowl, and creamer can stir your own drinks. Don't use a spoon to scoop up the coffee to taste the sweetness, otherwise, you are guaranteed to get the attention of the whole table. When drinking coffee or tea, you should hold the cup with your index finger and thumb and hold it up to drink. As for the saucer, you don’t need to hold it up. After drinking, put the small spoon on the plate.
1. Tips for making an appointment. The more high-end restaurants require advance reservations. When making an appointment, you must not only state the number and time but also indicate whether you want a smoking area or a seat with a good view. If it is a birthday or other special day, you can inform the purpose and budget of the banquet. Arriving within the scheduled time is a basic courtesy.
2. No matter how expensive casual clothes are, you can't wear them in the restaurant casually.
3. It is common sense for Europeans and Americans to dress appropriately when eating. To go to high-end restaurants, men should wear neat tops and leather shoes; women should wear suits and shoes with heels. If formal attire is specified, men must wear a tie.
4. Seat from the left side of the chair. The most decent way to seat is from the left side. When the chair is pulled apart, the body stands up straight at the distance of almost touching the table. The leader will push the chair in, and when the leg is bent and touch the chair behind, he can sit down.
5. When eating, lean your upper arms and back against the back of your chair, keep your abdomen and the table about one fist away. Sitting with your feet crossed is best avoided.
6. The order of the formal full set meal order is
① vegetables and soup
② cod liver oil
⑤ milk creme
⑥ dessert and coffee
⑦ fruit, as well as pre-dinner wine and table wine.
It is not necessary to order them all, it is rude to order too much and not finish. A restaurant with a slightly higher standard does not welcome people who only order appetizers. Appetizer, main course (choose one of fish or meat), and dessert are the most appropriate combination. Ordering does not start with the appetizer, but first, choose the main course you want to eat, and then add the soup that suits the main course.
7. Don't pretend to be an expert when ordering wine. In high-end restaurants, there will be bartenders who are good at tasting the wine list. People who don’t know much about wine should tell him his choice of dishes, budget, and favorite tastes. Ask the bartender for help.
8. If the main dish is meat, it should be paired with red wine, and fish with white wine. Before serving, you might as well have a lighter wine such as champagne, sherry, or gill.
9. Napkins can be opened before meals. After ordering, open the napkin before the appetizer is delivered, and fold it one-third inward so that two-thirds are flat on the legs, covering the legs above the knees. It is best not to stuff the napkin into the neckline.
10. Gently hold the foot of the cup with three fingers. In wine service, the waiter is usually responsible for pouring a small amount of wine into the wine glass to let the guests identify whether the quality is wrong. Just treat it as a form, take a sip and sign Good. Then, the waiter will come to pour the wine. At this time, don't take the wine glass, but put the wine glass on the table and let the waiter pour it. The correct posture for holding the cup is to gently hold the foot of the cup with your fingers. In order to prevent the temperature of the hand from increasing the temperature of the wine, use your thumb, middle finger, and index finger to hold the foot of the cup, and place the little finger on the bottom of the cup to fix it.
11. Methods of drinking. Never inhale while drinking, but tilt the glass and drink as if you put the wine on your tongue. Gently shake the glass to allow the wine to contact the air to increase the aroma of the wine, but do not shake the glass violently. In addition, it is impolite to drink and see people through the glass while drinking. Do not wipe the lipstick mark on the rim of the cup with your fingers. It is better to wipe it with facial tissue.
12. You can't breathe while drinking soup. First use a spoon to scoop up the soup from back to front, and place the bottom of the spoon on the lower lip to deliver the soup into the mouth. A 45° angle between the spoon and the mouth is better. The upper half of the body leans slightly forward. When there is not much soup left in the bowl, lift the bowl slightly with your fingers. If the soup is served in a bowl with a grip ring, you can directly hold the ring and drink it.
13. How to eat bread. First use both hands to tear into small pieces, and then use the left hand to eat. When eating hard bread, it is laborious to tear it by hand and the crumbs will fall all over the floor. At this time, you can cut it in half with a knife and then tear it into pieces by hand. Avoid cutting the bread like a saw, and pierce the other half with the knife first. When cutting, you can fix the bread with your hands to avoid making any noise.
14. How to eat fish. The fish is extremely tender and fragile, so restaurants often prepare special spoons instead of knives. This kind of spoon is slightly larger than the usual soup. It can not only divide the dishes but also scoop up the sauce. If you want to eat other mixed vegetables, it is better to use a fork. First, use a knife to pierce a straight line near the gills of the fish. Do not pierce the tip of the knife, just pierce it halfway. After picking up the upper body of the fish, starting from the beginning, place the knife and fork under the bone and cut it towards the tail of the fish, remove the needle bones and move them to the corner of the plate. Finally, cut off the fishtail. From left to right face, edge trimming eat.
15. How to use a knife and fork. The basic principle is to hold a knife or spoon in your right hand and a fork in your left hand. If there are more than two, the outermost one should be taken inward in turn. The method of holding the knife and fork is to lightly hold the end and press the index finger on the handle. The spoon can be held by holding a pen. If you feel inconvenient, you can switch to the right hand to hold the fork, but it appears crude if you change it frequently. When eating large vegetables, use a knife and fork to fold and cut. Softer food can be placed on the flat surface of the fork and tidy it up with a knife.
16. How to place knives and forks when resting. If you want to put down the knife and fork for a while after eating, you should place the knife and fork in the center of the plate in a figure-eight shape. If the knife and fork protrude out of the plate, it is unsafe and unsightly. It is impolite to speak while waving a knife and fork. After the meal, place the knife and fork in the four o'clock position.