Lanzhou University of Technology-logo
Lanzhou University of Technology

HOME > Campuslife > Notes before studying in China

Notes before studying in China

1. About visa

Please be sure to apply for a study visa (X visa) to study in China. Among them, the X1 visa is a long-term convertible visa that must be converted into a residence permit within 30 days of entry; the X2 visa is a short-term non-convertible visa. Students holding this visa can only travel to and from China once and can stay in China for a maximum of 180 days. Therefore, if your study period in China exceeds 180 days, you need to apply for an X1 visa (residence permit); if it does not exceed 180 days, you need to apply for an X2 visa.

The materials required for visa processing usually include:

(1) The original passport and one copy (please ensure that your passport is valid for more than 6 months and has a blank visa page)

(2) The original and one copy of the "Visa Application Form for Foreigners Studying in China" (JW201 or JW202).

(3) One original and one copy of the admission notice

Note: International students must hold a study visa (X visa) to enter the country. If you want to switch to a study visa after entering the country with a tourist visa (L visa), you will be required to re-enter after leaving the country. This is not recommended.


2. Details of items that may be needed during studying abroad

(1) Electrical appliances: laptops and other electronic products and their accessories, power conversion plugs, power transformers, mobile power supplies, etc. (the Chinese standard voltage is 220V, please bring your own voltage conversion equipment);

(2) Bedding: sheets, quilt cover, pillowcase, bedding, etc.;

(3) Toiletries: slippers, bath towels, towels, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.;

(4) Please refer to Lanzhou weather conditions for clothing preparation: spring 0℃-13℃; summer 14℃-27℃, maximum temperature 33℃; autumn 11℃-23℃; winter -7℃-4℃, minimum temperature -12℃;

(5) Fees: In addition to tuition, accommodation, insurance, and registration fees, it is recommended to prepare appropriate cash (RMB), specifically:

Bedding: 500 yuan/person; physical examination fee: 500 yuan/time; residence permit fee: 400 yuan/year; teaching materials: 400 yuan/year.

(6) Commonly used drugs: commonly used drugs for the respiratory system, commonly used drugs for the digestive system, analgesics, anti-inflammatory drugs, etc.

In addition, according to the relevant regulations of the Chinese government, opium, morphine, heroin, marijuana, and other addictive narcotics, psychotropic substances, various weapons, simulated weapons, controlled knives, ammunition, and explosives are strictly prohibited from being brought into China. . For specific information, please refer to:

Order No. 43 of the General Administration of Customs (The People's Republic of China Prohibited and Restricted Entry and Exit List)

Announcement No. 46 (2013) of the General Administration of Customs (Interpretation on Issues Concerning the "List of Articles Prohibited from Entry and Exit of the People's Republic of China" and "List of Articles Restricted from Entry and Exit of the People's Republic of China")


3. Other matters needing attention

(1) Introduction to Chinese currency

The legal currency in China is the renminbi (¥), the unit is yuan, and the unit of the Renminbi currency is jiao and cent. 1 yuan = 10 jiao, 1 jiao = 10 points. At present, the main banknotes in circulation are: 1 jiao, 5 jiao, 1 yuan, 5 yuan, 10 yuan, 20 yuan, 50 yuan, and 100 yuan; coins are: 1 jiao, 5 jiao, and 1 yuan.

(2) Foreign currency exchange locations and convertible currencies

The following foreign currencies can be converted into RMB: British Pound, US Dollar, Euro, Japanese Yen, Korean Won, Canadian Dollar, Australian Dollar, Swiss Franc, Singapore Dollar, Swedish Krona, Norwegian Krone, Danish Krone, Philippine Peso, Thai Baht. For other currencies, you can first convert them into U.S. dollars in your home country and bring them to China, and then convert U.S. dollars into renminbi. For more information, please log on to the official website of the Bank of China:

(3) Memorandum of allergens and preparations

Some food packages in China do not indicate allergy information, so please eat with caution; bring your own allergic reaction memo and preparation medicines with you.

(4) Daily Chinese language and other relevant Chinese information

China uses Chinese (common Mandarin) as the common language, and a few regions use the local dialect. To avoid initial communication barriers, it is recommended to prepare Chinese contact information, school, teacher, and destination information in Chinese.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on Wechat