Nanjing University-logo
Nanjing University





1. Where is Nanjing?

Nanjing is located in East China and belongs to the Middle-lower Yangtze Plain. Roughly 305 km away from Shanghai, it is the capital of Jiangsu Province, an important city in the East China region, as well as a significant science and education center and comprehensive transportation junction in China.


2. How big is Nanjing?

The city covers around 6,587 square kilometers, with a population of 8.335 million by 2017.


3. What's the climate like in Nanjing?

Nanjing has a mild and humid subtropical climate. Spring and autumn in Nanjing are quite short, while summer and winter are in comparison relatively long. The mean annual temperature is around 15.4 °C. The highest temperature in summer is about 38°C, and the lowest temperature in winter can reach -10°C.


4. What famous tourist resorts does Nanjing have?

Nanjing is honored among the first batch of  "the Top Tourist Cities of China", and is one of the state-listed famous historical and cultural cities. The most famous tourist resorts of the city are Dr. Sun Yat-sen Mausoleum, Ming Xiaoling Mausoleum, Confucius Temple, Xuanwu Lake, Former Presidential Residence, Nanjing Massacre Memorial Hal, etc.


5. Where is Nanjing University located?

Xianlin Campus: No. 163, Xianlin Avenue, Qixia District, Nanjing

Gulou Campus: No. 22, Hankou Road, Gulou District, Nanjing


6. How to reach the school?

After arriving at Shanghai Pudong Airport, you can take the train to Nanjing at Shanghai Station or Shanghai Hongqiao Station. The train from Shanghai to Nanjing runs every half an hour.

After arriving in Nanjing, you can take a taxi, bus, or subway to reach the school.


7. How are the surroundings of the campus?

Medical Services: Nanjing University has a school hospital, divided into Gulou Campus and Xianlin Campus branches, providing medical treatment services for everyone. Nearby the Nanjing University Gulou Campus there are the Jiangsu Province People's Hospital and Gulou Hospital, two excellent major hospitals. Students may choose a hospital according to their needs.


Shopping: There are convenience stores, supermarkets, and small shops both on and around the two campuses. 3 km away from Gulou Campus is Xinjiekou, the business center of Nanjing, which boasts several large shopping malls and department stores. Xianlin Campus is 3 km away from the Xianlin central area, where there are shopping malls and department stores.


Other facilities: gymnasiums, banks, post offices, photo studios, bookstores, etc., both on campus and in the two campuses' vicinity, available to fulfill your daily needs.


8. What kind of food does Nanjing University have?

There are 12 canteens in total and among these two HALAL canteens in Gulou and Xianlin Campus.


9. Is the traffic convenient near Nanjing University?

Gulou Campus is located in the downtown area of ​​Nanjing, and near the campus, there are two metro lines 1 and 4. and a number of bus lines. Xianlin Campus is connected to Line 2. There are campus shuttles between the two campuses at fixed times.


10. What should be noted about visas?

Please affirm that your visa has at least 10 days validity at the time of registration to make sure your stay in China is legal before receiving a residence permit.

If the period of your study is over 6 months, apply for an X1 visa to enter China. For a period of study of fewer than 6 months, you should apply for an X2 visa.

After entering the country, please go to a dormitory or a hotel to register. For those who reside or stay in domiciles other than hotels, they or the persons who accommodate them shall, within 24 hours after the foreigners' arrival, go through the registration formalities with the public security organs in the places of residence.


11. What courses am I going to take at Nanjing University?

Non-degree students: The curriculum of the language students can be found on the Institute for International Students'webpage, (NJU) (

The curriculum of other general and advanced scholars will be the same as that of the degree students (see below) in the same major.

Degree students: The curriculum of the international students is pretty much the same as that of the Chinese students in the same major, despite the exemption of a few certain general courses. You can check the curriculum for the detailed majors under the following links:

For undergraduate programs, see:

For master and doctoral programs, see:


12. What Chinese proficiency do I need to achieve before graduation?

Undergraduate students: All undergraduate students need to pass HSK 6 (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) before graduation. Students majoring in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language need to pass HSK 6 with scores above 60 in every test subject and also reach the advanced level of HSKK. Students majoring in the Chinese Language need to pass HSK 6 with scores above 60 in every test subject and also reach the advanced level of HSKK.


Master and doctoral students: All students taking the Chinese-taught programs in sciences need to pass HSK 5 before graduation, while those taking Chinese-taught programs in liberal arts need to pass HSK 6. Those who take English-taught programs need to pass HSK 3 before graduation.


13. How can I graduate successfully?

Undergraduate students and postgraduates complete all courses specified in the teaching plan, complete the total credits specified, reply to their academic theses, and reach the level specified by the school in Chinese language (HSK), and are allowed to graduate, issue graduation certificates, and grant corresponding bachelor, master's and doctoral degrees.


Undergraduate students who fail to complete the total credits specified within the prescribed study period will only be issued with the completion certificate. If the defense of the postgraduate dissertation fails, only the certificate of completion will be issued.


Undergraduate students and graduate students who have dropped out of school and have completed their studies for more than one year and have gone through the formalities for leaving school according to the regulations shall be issued with the certificate of study.


If the students have completed the plan and the results are qualified, they shall issue the certificate and report card. If the examination is not taken or the results are not qualified, only the study certificate shall be issued.


14. How much is the tuition fee for studying at Nanjing University?

Student category

liberal arts

Science and Business










PhD student




General scholar




Senior Scholar





MBA program: 2.5 years of schooling, total tuition fee of 185,000 yuan

MPAcc project: 2 years of schooling, total tuition fee of 180,000 yuan

For the tuition standards of English-taught programs and Chinese characteristic programs, please refer to the enrollment guidelines of each program.

Tuition for short-term students (RMB):

Chinese class: 2000 yuan/2 weeks, additional 1000 yuan per week for the 3rd-16th weeks.

(This is the cost of language learning, and cultural courses can be flexibly arranged according to the needs of students, and the cost is extra. Separate classes for more than 10 people)

Professional class: The tuition of short-term special study classes is determined by both parties according to the type of course.


15. Do I need to pay to apply to Nanjing University?

Short-term students, General scholar, Undergraduate


Postgraduates, Senior Scholars, Research Scholars



16. How much does the accommodation cost?

  • 21 dormitories for international students on Xianlin campus. Room price: RMB 12,000/single room/school year, RMB 6,000/double room/school year.
  • Xiyuan International Student Apartment on Gulou Campus. Double room: RMB 52/day/person; Single room: RMB 67/day.
  • When staying in the dormitory, pay a deposit of RMB 600 for goods and RMB 1,000 for accommodation.
  • For students living off-campus, the house rent varies depending on the size of the room and the residential area. The house rent is generally 2500-5000 per month.


17. How much does the insurance cost?

400 yuan/semester; 800 yuan/year


18. Are there any other fees to be paid?

For physical examination and verification at Nanjing Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau, physical examination fees and verification fees must be paid.

For all types of visas and residence procedures at the Exit-Entry Administration Office of Nanjing Public Security Bureau, relevant fees must be paid.

To borrow books from the school library and the overseas education college reference room, a deposit of RMB 300 is required.

To apply for a campus card, you need to pay a cost of RMB 20.

Use school tennis courts, table tennis halls, fitness halls, indoor swimming pools, and pay according to student standards with student IDs.

Meals, medical expenses, teaching materials, vacation travel expenses and all expenses required for experiments, internships, and professional visits outside of the school's teaching plan shall be paid by the self-financed students.


19. What materials are required for registration?

When registering, you must submit your passport, admission notice, JW201 or JW202 form, and health certificate (valid for 6 months). Submit a 2-inch half-length photo without a hat.

Students who apply for a study period of more than 6 months should bring the "Foreigner Physical Examination Record" (original) and "AIDS, Syphilis, Hepatitis Blood Test Report" (original) to No. 39, Chuang Zhi Road, Jianye District, Nanjing before registration and registration. Jiangsu International Travel Health Center handles verification procedures (Nanjing Health and Quarantine Bureau charge related fees).


20. What should I do if I cannot report on time?

Those who are unable to enroll on time due to some reasons must apply for leave by fax (fax number: 86-25-83316747) to the International Student Affairs Department of Overseas Education College. The leave period should generally not exceed 2 weeks. Those who register late without asking for leave will automatically give up their admission qualifications.


21. How to check in to the dormitory?

International students living in the international student dormitory, go through the housing procedures at the main service counter of the international student dormitory, sign a housing contract, pay a room fee and a housing deposit of RMB 1,000, and a deposit of RMB 600 for an article.


22. What facilities and services does the international student dormitory provide?

Facilities: Air-conditioning, Internet, 24-hour hot water

Service: Laundry


23. Can I live off-campus?

International students can live off-campus, but they must go through registration procedures at the police station where they live within 24 hours as required.


Note! It is necessary to ensure that the entire renting procedure is complete, legal, and reliable. That is: it is necessary to ensure that the source of housing information is reliable, the leasing procedures are complete and legal, and the leasing permit must be filed at the local police station, and the renter must also go to the local police station to declare a temporary account.


24. When will the student ID be issued?

After enrollment, the student ID of Nanjing University will be issued.

Undergraduate student IDs are issued by the Overseas Education College Affairs Office. Student IDs for postgraduate students are issued by the academic affairs teachers of each department.

Student IDs for general scholars and advanced scholars and scholar IDs for research scholars are issued by the Academic Affairs Office of the Overseas Education College. If it is lost, please go to the Academic Affairs Office of Overseas Education College to reissue it.

Note! ! Student ID is an important proof of identity for international students. It must be carried with you and cannot be borrowed. If it is lost, it must be reissued in time.


25. What hospitals are there near the school?

The school hospital of Nanjing University provides medical services for international students. The school hospital of Gulou Campus is located on Hankou Road, Nanjing City (next to the main gate of Hankou Road, Nanjing University).

There are some well-equipped and advanced large-scale general hospitals around the Gulou campus of Nanjing University, such as Jiangsu Provincial People's Hospital, Jiangsu Provincial Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Gulou Hospital, etc. You can choose according to your needs.

Chinese government full scholarship students and Confucius Institute full scholarship students receive an insurance card when they enroll. If you need hospitalization or accidental injury, please contact the insurance company as soon as possible according to the service telephone number behind the insurance card to facilitate the payment of medical expenses and medical insurance.

Self-financed international students pay all their own medical expenses, medical expenses, and hospitalization expenses.

The telephone number of Nanjing Emergency Center is: 120 or 110


The following are the addresses of major hospitals in Nanjing:

Jiangsu Provincial People's Hospital. Address: 300 Guangzhou Road, Tel: 8371-8836

Jiangsu Provincial Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Address: 156 Hanzhong Road, Tel: 8661-7141

Nanjing Stomatological Hospital. Address: No. 30, Zhongyang Road, Tel: 8771-3522

Nanjing Gulou Hospital. Address: No. 321 Zhongshan Road, Tel: 8330-4616


26. What is the campus card?

Campus Card (NOT Student Card) is a debit card you can use on campus (both Gulou campus and Xianlin campus). It can be used at the campus cafeteria, supermarket, gym, hospital, swimming pool, dormitory entrances, school bus, etc. . It may help you get the student discount on campus. The card is a debit card, not a credit one. The campus card system offers online services, and the website is


27. Which international students can have free mailboxes and Nanjing University online accounts?

Officially enrolled undergraduates, postgraduates, and doctoral students can use it without application.


28. How to use Nanjing University email and online account?

Log in to and enter the correct user name and password to use the e-mail address. The student's email address is: "Student". The user name is the student number, the initial password is the passport number, and the letters are capitalized.


Log in to and enter the correct user name and password to use the network account. The user name is the student number, the initial password is the passport number, and the letters are capitalized.

If you encounter problems when using email or online account services, you can send an email to the email engineer:, or call 89683791.


29. How to charge?

Mailbox is free. The online account is free for the first 30 hours of each month, and the excess is charged at 0.2/hour, with a cap of 20 yuan.


30. How to change and save money?

In Nanjing, banks such as Bank of China, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, China Construction Bank, Agricultural Bank of China, China Merchants Bank, China Bank of Communications, and China Hua Xia Bank can exchange foreign currencies, foreign exchange, and traveler's checks for RMB. Foreign currency can also be exchanged for RMB in some large star-rated hotels, such as Jinling Hotel, Central Hotel, Ancient Nandu Hotel, and Fenghuangtai Hotel near the school.

International students can open RMB or foreign currency accounts at any bank in Nanjing with their passports. Banks near the Overseas Education Institute include Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, China Construction Bank, China Bank of Communications, Bank of China, etc.


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on Wechat