International Scholarship for Chinese teachers
To satisfy the growing demand of the international community for Chinese language teachers and facilitate Chinese language education in other countries. the Center For Language Education And Cooperation (CLEC) will continue with the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship. Confucius Institutes independently operated Confucius Classrooms, certain HSK test centers, Chinese language (education) departments of foreign universities, professional associations for Chinese language instruction of other countries, Chinese embassies (consulates) abroad (collectively “recommending institutions”) may recommend outstanding students and currently-employed Chinese language teachers to study International
Chinese Language Education or related majors in Chinese universities and colleges (“host institutions”).
(1) General Eligibility
1. Non-Chinese citizenship.
2. In good physical and mental condition, well performed both academically and behaviorally.
3. Between the ages of 16-35 on September 1st, 2021. Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not exceed the age limit of 45.
4. One-academic-year program does not apply to those who are studying in China. One-semester program and four-week study program do not apply to those who have ever got visa X1 or X2.
5. Chinese Bridge winners who have been awarded the 2021 “International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Certificate”.
6. Aspired to take future careers in the teaching or international promotion of the Chinese language.
(2) Scholarship Programs and Requirements
1. Doctor of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (DTCSOL)
● Maximum program duration: 4 academic years
● Enrollment time: September 2021
Applicants shall be Master’s degree holders whose majors should be Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, Linguistics, Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, Education or related. Applicants shall have a minimum score of 200 in the HSK Test (Level 6) as well as 60 in the HSKK Test (Advanced Level), and have more than 2 years of work experience in teaching Chinese and related fields. Applicants who can provide notarized documents of the employment agreement or related proofs upon completing their study in China are preferred.
2. Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
● Maximum program duration: 2 academic years
● Enrollment time: September 2021
Applicants shall be Bachelor’s degree holders and have a minimum score of 210 in the HSK Test (Level 5) as well as 60 in the HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Applicants who can provide notarized documents of the employment agreement or related proofs upon completing their study in China are preferred.
3. One-Academic-Year Study Program
● Program duration: 11 months
● Enrollment time: September 2021
● Requirement for sub-stream programs:
3.1 Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (TCSOL)
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 270 in the HSK Test (Level 3), while an HSKK test score is required.
3.2 Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in the HSK Test (Level 4) as well as 60 in the HSKK Test (Intermediate Level).
3.3 Chinese Language Study
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 210 in the HSK Test (Level 3), and those who can provide HSKK Test scores are preferred.
4. One-Semester Study Program
● Program duration: 5 months
● Enrollment time: Either in September 2021 or March 2022
● Requirement for sub-stream programs(Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy)
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in the HSK Test (Level 3), while an HSKK test score is required.
5. Four-week Study Program
● Program duration: 4 weeks
● Enrollment time: July 2021
● Requirement: HSK Test score report is required.
● Requirement for programs(Chinese Language plus Home-stay Experience in a Chinese Family, Chinese Language Study & Taiji)
HSK Test score is required. Organized and applied by a Recommending Institute with 10-15 participants per group. Before the trip, a detailed study plan shall be made after consultation with SCNU and submission to CLEC for approval.
(3) Admission Procedure
Online registration will be available from March 1, 2021, on the Scholarship website. Please log on to search recommending institutions and South China Normal University as your first choice, upload application materials online, track the application progress, feedback of review, and admission results. Scholarship holders need to confirm with SCNU to go through the procedures of studying in China, print out the CIS certificate online, and register at SCNU at the designated date and time as per the letter of admission.
The application deadlines are:
April 10th (for those commencing in July 2021)
May 10th (for those commencing in September 2021)
November 10th (for those commencing in March 2022)
CLEC will complete the scholarship review and notify the results three months before enrollment of the admitted students.
The applicants should also log on to the SCNU International Student Service System (HTTP:// istudy.scnu.edu.cn) to submit their online application at the same time.
(4) Chinese Bridge Award Recipient Policies
Chinese Bridge winners who have been awarded the 2021 “International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Certificate” shall log on to the scholarship website and submit documents with their CIS certificates to SCNU.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiry.
(5) Application Documents for Confucius Institute Scholarship
Recommending institutions and receiving institutions should examine the completeness, validity, and accuracy of the applicant’s passport name, nationality, and permanent address. If the following documents are not in Chinese or English versions, notarized documents should be provided.
Part 1. For all applicants
1. A scanned copy of the passport photo page. Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit a notarized certificate of entrusted legal guardians in China.
2. Score reports of the HSK, HSKK (in two-year validity). Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions may submit the award certificate and the 2021 “the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Certificate”.
3. Recommendation letter signed by the head of the recommending institutions (please provide objective comments on the applicant, including whether the applicant is a student of Confucius Institute or with another academic or professional background. Chinese language teachers shall submit an employment verification letter and a reference letter provided by the employer.)
Part 2. For degree scholarship program applicants (Applicants for degree programs should include documents listed in Part 1 and Part 2)
4. Notarized certification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation), and an official transcript.
5. Applicants of the MTCSOL program are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors or associate professors. Those who can provide a notarized employment agreement or related documents with the designated teaching institution will be given prior consideration.
6. Applicants of the DTCSOL program are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors, associate professors, or supervisors with relevant professional and technical titles in related fields, as well as a personal statement of around 3000 words in Chinese (including knowledge of the program and research plan). Those who can provide a notarized employment agreement or related documents with the designated teaching institution will be given prior consideration.
*SCNU preserves the right to interview applicants face to face or online. Other documents apart from those listed might be requested.
(6) Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
Please log on to the scholarship website to search for detailed information.
1. Incomplete or unqualified applications will not be processed.
2. Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of the fact that application materials are found fraudulent or application materials are completed and submitted by someone else.
3. Scholarship will be canceled for those who cannot register with the SCNU on time, fail to pass the on-site physical examination, drop out, or take schooling suspension during the study.
4. Degree students must take part in the annual review. For more information, please refer to the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Annual Review Guidance.
1. SCNU Contact Information
Contact Person: Mr. Dai
Website: http://cicgz.scnu.edu.cn, http://english.scnu.edu.cn/ADMISSIONS/
2. Division of Test and Scholarships