Shanghai Normal University-logo
Shanghai Normal University

HOME > Campuslife > Visa Affairs

Visa Affairs

Entry Visa

New international students must apply for a student visa (X1 or X2) with the official document (JW201 or JW202 form) and the Admission Notice, which both are issued by the university. Please check with the local Chinese embassies and consulates for any additional documents.

  1. X1 Visa is for students who intend to study in China for a period of more than 180 days.

  2. X2 Visa is for students who intend to study in China for a period of no more than 180 days.


International students who study in Shanghai must obtain an X visa (X1 or X2) before entry. All the other types of visa are not accepted.

Students holding non-study visa or residence permit, such as tourist visa, business visa, working visa and private affairs visa cannot transfer it to student visa or study-purpose residence permit in Shanghai. Students have to leave China first and obtain an X1 or X2 visa before entry.

Nationals who have visa-free entry must also apply for an X visa (X1 or X2) before entry. X visa is the only visa type which can be transferred to student residence permit.

Students with diplomatic or public service passports should switch their passport to ordinary passport and apply for student residence permit after being admitted.


Medical Check

All international students who will stay in China for more than 6 months must apply for the residence permit on the condition that they have passed the medical check done at the authorized hospital.

If you have done the medical check at the hospital in your own country, please bring all the original documents for verification. In some cases, you might be required to do an additional check for some items.

There is no need for a re-examination when the residence permit is renewed, but if the last residence permit has been expired for more than three months, a medical check is still required before processing the new residence permit.

Before the Check-up (verification), students should make an online reservation.

The medical examination report is valid for 6 months only.

The International Students Office organizes a group medical examination at the beginning of each semester. Details of the arrangements will be shared upon registration. If students miss this chance, they will have to make their own appointment and do the medical check at Shanghai International Travel Health Care Center on their own.

Documents needed for medical check in Shanghai

  1. Passport (both original and a copy),

  2. Visa Copy with entry stamp and Student ID Card (or Certificate of Registration or Admission Letter)

  3. 4 Photos (passport’s size)

  4. Medical Check Fee: 600 RMB

  5. Medical check-up report if applicable



  1. No Alcoholic and take good rest three days before the check

  2. No food to be taken 4 hours before the medical check


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on Wechat