2021 Undergraduate Admissions Guide for International Students
Sun Yat-sen University was founded by Mr. Sun Yat-sen and has a tradition of running schools for more than 100 years. As a university directly under the Ministry of Education of China, Sun Yat-sen University has become a first-class domestic and internationally renowned modern comprehensive university through the joint construction of ministries and provinces. It now consists of three campuses, five campuses and ten affiliated hospitals: Guangzhou campus, Zhuhai campus, and Shenzhen campus. Sun Yat-sen University is striding forward to become a world-class university and strives to become a global academic center. The school implements management and services that are similar to those of Chinese students for international students. Regularly hold lectures on national conditions education, inspections and social practice activities, and organize international students to participate in exchange activities for foreign students in Guangdong. Encourage students to "study at CUHK and pursue excellence" and cultivate students to become outstanding international talents with "both political integrity, leadership qualities, and family and country feelings".
Article 1: Application Conditions
(1) Do not have Chinese nationality, hold a valid foreign passport and meet the relevant requirements of the "Notice of the Ministry of Education on Regulating the Acceptance of International Students in Our Colleges and Universities" (Jiaowaihan  No. 12).
(2) To be in good health and must meet the medical examination standards for applying for a study visa or residence permit in China.
(3) High school graduation or above.
(4) Friendly to China, diligent and studious, excellent grades, good conduct, abiding by laws and regulations, no record of violations of school rules and regulations, no public security penalties, and no criminal record.
(5) Language level
The Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) must have a score of 180 or above at level 5 (Applicants for a Chinese language major must have a score of 180 or above at HSK 4). Applicants who used Chinese to study at the previous level of education must submit a language certificate issued by the school, which can be exempted from providing HSK scores upon verification by our school.
(6) Those under the age of 18 before September 1, 2021 need to provide a guardian guarantee. Applicants for scholarship programs must meet the age requirements of each program.
Article 2: Deadline for application
April 30, 2021 (for scholarship application time, please refer to the application guidelines for each scholarship program).
Article 3: Application Process
Applicants log on to the "Online Application" on the website of the Office of Foreign Students of Sun Yat-sen University (http://iso.sysu.edu.cn) to register, fill in the application form accurately and completely as required, and upload the following application materials:
(1) Valid passport (if the applicant is already in mainland China, please submit the current valid visa page or residence permit page, and entry stamp page at the same time)
(2) High school graduation documents (new graduates can first provide the pre-graduation certificate issued by the school)
(3) Standardized test transcripts, transcripts issued by the school with the highest degree
(4) Language Proficiency Certificate
(5) Two recommendation letters issued by the principal of the school and a teacher
(6) Proof of financial status
(7) Medical examination report
(8) Letter of Commitment
(9) Nationality certificate of applicant and parents
(10) Other supporting materials that may be required to be submitted
Note: The application materials must be originals in Chinese or English. For documents in other languages, the original documents and notarized Chinese or English translations must be attached.
Article 4: Enrollment majors, enrollment colleges and departments, and academic degree awards
(1) Please refer to the attachment for the catalogue of international undergraduate enrollment majors and school system of our school in 2021. Our school enrolls students according to major categories, and students are divided into majors in accordance with the professional education and training programs and requirements of their colleges and departments, and the majors are determined to be trained.
(2) Please refer to the website of Sun Yat-Sen University (http://www.sysu.edu.cn) for the information of each enrollment unit.
(3) All students with formal student status of Sun Yat-Sen University who have completed the required course credits within the prescribed study period and meet the graduation requirements will be awarded a Sun Yat-Sen University undergraduate diploma; those who meet the requirements for degree-granting will be awarded a bachelor's degree and Award of degree certificate.
Article 5: Selection procedure
(1) Qualification review
Our school will comprehensively review the applicant's foreign status, highest education, recommendation, academic performance, language level, etc, and determine the assessment list.
Our school will issue an assessment notice after the registration deadline. Applicants who pass the review must attend the interview in accordance with the notice. The specific interview time and method will be notified by email.
(3) Admission Policy
1. Our school will select the best candidates based on the applicant's qualification review and interview assessment results. The list of scholarship winners is subject to the results announced by the scholarship management department.
2. Our school will publish the pre-admission results through the online registration system. The "Admission Notice" and "Visa Application Form for Studying in China" will be sent from July to August according to the mailing address filled in by the applicant in the online registration system.
3. The admitted applicants shall apply for an X1 visa at the Chinese Embassy (Consulate) with the "Admission Notice" and "Visa Application Form for Foreigners Studying in China", and convert the X1 visa into a study-type residence permit within 30 days after entry. Those who fail to go through the relevant procedures within the time limit will be disqualified for admission. The school does not accept students with non-study visas to register for admission. International students whose visas or residence certificates have expired are not allowed to live on campus or carry out activities on campus.
Article 6: Charging Standard (Priced in Renminbi, Unit: Yuan)
(1) Tuition fee (yuan/person/academic year) and registration fee (including necessary entrance examination fees)
Science and Engineering
Registration fee (including necessary entrance examination fees): 400/person
Note: The charging standard is subject to the "Sun Yat-Sen University Education Fees Announcement" of the year.
Article 7: Scholarship Program
Outstanding Undergraduate international students will receive rich scholarships. The specific application methods for the following scholarship programs can be found in the "Scholarship Programs" section of the website of the Office of Foreign Students of our school (http://iso.sysu.edu.cn):
(1) Chinese Government Scholarship
Applicants who meet the application requirements can directly apply to the foreign student dispatching department of their home country, the Chinese ambassador to the country (consulate-general) Education Office or the Foreign Student Office of the Department of Academic Affairs of our school according to the type of project. The application methods and deadlines of each project are different. Please pay attention to inquire in advance.
(2) Sun Yat-sen University "Belt and Road" Scholarship
Established by Sun Yat-sen University in 2017, it focuses on funding outstanding high school graduates from ASEAN countries to study for a bachelor's degree in our school. Applicants should contact the recommending unit of their country for consultation, and they must meet the recommendation standards set by our school in the country of origin of the student, and obtain the official recommendation of the designated institution of the country of origin of the student.
(3) Guangdong Provincial Government Scholarship for International Students in Guangdong
Admitted and enrolled non-government scholarship freshmen can apply for the Guangdong Provincial Government Scholarship for International Students in Guangdong. Outstanding freshmen can receive scholarship funding for the first academic year. Undergraduate scholarship standard is 10,000 yuan per person, which will be given in a lump sum. The rest of the academic year can continue to apply for this scholarship according to relevant regulations and learning conditions.
Article 8: Accommodation Arrangements and Insurance Regulations
(1) Due to the limited number of student dormitories on campus, self-financed students need to arrange their own accommodation. Recipients of the Chinese Government Scholarship and Sun Yat-Sen University’s “One Belt One Road” Scholarship will be allocated on-campus accommodation in accordance with relevant regulations.
(2) The school implements a full insurance system for international students. International students must apply for insurance in accordance with relevant national regulations and school requirements. If the insurance is not purchased in accordance with the regulations, the insurance shall be insured within a time limit; if the insurance is not purchased within the time limit, the school will not be registered; for those who have already studied at the school, they shall be subject to withdrawal.
Article 9: Supervision and Administration
(1) The admitted students must come to the school to complete the registration and registration procedures according to the registration date and registration location required in the "Admission Notice". Early registration of students is not accepted. Those who fail to register without approval will be deemed to have given up their admission qualifications, and scholarship winners will be disqualified.
(2) Applicants shall be responsible for the materials they provide. For applicants who provided false materials to obtain admission qualifications, once verified, their admission qualifications, enrollment qualifications and student status will be cancelled according to the relevant regulations of the country and the school according to the verification time, and the fact that the materials are falsified will be reported to the relevant management department.
(3) In accordance with the relevant regulations and requirements of the Ministry of Education, our school will conduct physical examinations and re-examination of admission qualifications for all admitted applicants after enrollment. Anyone who fails to meet the admission requirements or falsifies will be disqualified for admission or enrollment.
(4) The Foreign Students Office of the Academic Affairs Department of Sun Yat-sen University performs functional supervision responsibilities for enrollment work, and the discipline inspection and supervision department performs special supervision responsibilities.
Article 10: Supplementary Provisions
(1) This brief is applicable to Sun Yat-sen University's 2021 international student enrollment work and will be implemented from the date of announcement.
(2) This briefing chapter is authorized by the Undergraduate Admissions Leading Group of Sun Yat-sen University to explain it by the Foreign Students Office of the Academic Affairs Department of Sun Yat-sen University.
(3) If the policies of the Ministry of Education and relevant departments are adjusted, the new regulations will be implemented.
Admissions consultation telephone: 0086 (20) 84110819
Supervision Office Tel: 0086 (20) 84115582
Fax: 0086 (20) 84115621
Address: Foreign Students Office of the Academic Affairs Department, Building 524, Northwest District, Sun Yat-sen University, No.135 Xingang West Road, Haizhu District, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
Postal Code: 510275