Doctoral Program of Digital Design and Construction
Professional name: International Ph.D. Program in Architecture-Digital Design and Construction Direction
Education system: 4 years
1. The School of Architecture and Urban Planning of Tongji University was established as a doctoral program for international students. Among them, the "Digital Future" international doctoral program focuses on the many developments of architecture in digital transformation, covering all aspects from digital architectural design and construction to spatial performance simulation and visualization research.
2. The language of instruction for the international doctoral students enrolled in this project is English. During the doctoral study period, they must participate in the course study to obtain the required credits, and under the guidance of the supervisor, participate in the assessment of the compulsory link and complete the writing of the doctoral dissertation.
3. This project has assembled a group of international high-quality teachers, including world-leading experts and scholars in this field:
1) Doctoral supervisors: Neil Leach, Patrik Schumacher, Xie Yimin, Yuan Feng, Shi Xing, Xu Leiqing, Sun Chengyu
2) Course professors: Philippe Block, Biayna Bogosian, Matias del Campo, Behnaz Farahi, Sandra Manninger, Achim Menges, Gilles Retsin, Jenny Sabin, Roland Snooks, Nader Tehrani
3) Course coordinators: Yuan Feng, Neil Leach
Cultivate architecture researchers who love China and Tongji University, have a decent academic style, have a correct world outlook, outlook on life and values, have profound theoretical literacy, an open international vision, and outstanding comprehensive capabilities, and can independently conduct creative research and practice architecture Learn high-end talents, as well as professional elites who will lead the future and pioneers in new fields.
1. Good academic literacy and academic ethics: correct outlook on life and values, good professional ethics and dedication, scientific rigor, truth-seeking, and pragmatic learning attitude and work style.
2. Innovative ability: Have a critical vision, be able to discover new architectural phenomena and laws, and be able to explain; have the ability to improve, be able to innovate or revise architectural research methods; have the ability to innovate, be able to apply architecture and interdisciplinary Theories and methods to make creative academic contributions.
3. Cross-cultural vision: understand different cultures, have basic knowledge and vision of cross-cultural; be familiar with international rules, be familiar with and master the basic methods of international academic exchanges, be proficient in international academic exchanges; participate in international cooperation, have the ability to interact with each other on the international stage The ability of peers to cooperate and compete.
4. Organizational ability: have the organizational ability to lead a team to conduct academic research; have the coordination and organization ability of general social work.
Eligibility for application
1. Non-Chinese citizens who are physically and mentally healthy.
2. Applicants must have a master's degree issued by an authoritative institution, or relevant certification materials with equivalent academic ability.
3. Applicants should have a good undergraduate or graduate education experience in related academic fields, good academic performance.
4. Applicants should have good English proficiency ( applicants from English-speaking countries are not subject to this restriction ) , and their English proficiency is reflected in relevant certification materials or official English test (TOEFL or IELTS) transcripts, among which the new TOEFL score is not low With a score of 88/120, IELTS must be no less than 6.5 (9- point scale) .
Note: Since 2010, residents of Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan who apply to study at the school as foreign students after immigrating abroad must meet the following conditions in addition to the above requirements: Applicants must have a valid certificate Foreign passport or international certification documents for more than 4 years (inclusive) , and a record of living abroad for more than 2 years in the most recent 4 years (by April 30 of the enrollment year) (actually living abroad for 9 months in a year) It can be calculated for one year, subject to entry and exit signatures) .
The enrollment of doctoral students in this project implements a material review and selection mechanism. The review committee will review the academic resumes, personal statements, recommendation letters, transcripts, and related academic achievements submitted by the applicants at the school and college levels, and interview the applicants themselves, and finally pass the form of scoring Decide the admission result.
1. Application time: The deadline for application is April 30.
2. Application process:
1) Log in to the website of the International Students Office of Tongji University: http://study.tongji.edu.cn/index.php?classid=6839 for application information.
2) Log in to the online registration system of Tongji University:
http://study-info.tongji.edu.cn for online registration.
After completion, print out the PDF file of the application form generated by the system and sign it.
3) Submit the application materials; it can be submitted in person or by someone else, or mailed to the International Students Office of Tongji University (for a mailing address, see contact information) ; all application materials must be delivered before the application deadline, otherwise, the application will be deemed to have been abandoned.
1. "Tongji University Foreign Student Admission Application Form" (two copies) .
2. A photocopy of the photo page of my ordinary passport.
3. Personal statement: A statement is a way for applicants to express their scientific research interests and research goals to the school, expressing the applicant's reasons for choosing the School of Architecture and Urban Planning of Tongji University instead of other institutions. At the same time, applicants should introduce their own background, including scientific research experience, subject areas they are good at, honors received, and extracurricular activities they participate in.
4. Master's degree certificate: Applicants should hold a foreign degree equivalent to that of a Chinese master's degree, and the degree should be issued by an internationally recognized academic institution. The degree is recognized by the evaluator of the Graduate Admissions Office.
5. Transcripts: Applicants should submit transcripts of all academic stages. If the transcript cannot prove the corresponding degree award situation, the applicant should submit some supplementary materials to explain. The applicant shall provide a transcript of the original, together with a translation of the English transcript. English transcripts are usually provided by schools or government agencies. If the issuing agency uses English, English translation of the transcripts is not required. The original transcript is provided by the original school, accompanied by the school stamp or steel seal and the signature of the authorized institution. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese and English must provide the original notarized copy of the Chinese or English translation. (Note: Notarized documents must be provided by Chinese embassies and consulates abroad or foreign embassies and consulates in China.)
6. Recommendation letters: Applicants need to submit at least 2 recommendation letters written by professors ( or equivalent titles ) . The recommender should indicate in the letter his personal evaluation of the applicant, including professional knowledge level, scientific research ability, work attitude, personality characteristics, and the applicant's potential ability to obtain scholarships.
7. Published articles: Applicants need to submit 2 published academic papers.
8. English language proficiency materials: If the applicant is from a non-English speaking country, the applicant should submit proof materials that reflect his/her English ability. If the applicant completed more than one year of full-time courses at least a recognized institution in China and results in more than B, then the applicant is not required to participate in the official English exam. If the applicant can provide proof of English as the working language during the relevant university study, you may not have to participate in the official English exam. Otherwise, applicants need to submit a valid official English transcript. Applicants can choose to take any of the following official English tests: TOEFL and IELTS. The English transcript should be the applicant’s most recent test score within two years before the application date.
Basic business requirements:
1. Credits: Total credits Ph.D. least 26 credits, wherein the common module of not less than 4 credits degree courses, not less than 5 Degree Course module credits, non-degree of not less than 6 credits class module (including 2 credits for interdisciplinary courses ) , 11 credits for compulsory links. Each doctoral student shall complete all courses determined in the training plan and obtain credits before the mid-term assessment by the "Tongji University Doctoral Course Study Management Regulations".
1) Scientific innovation is the core of the training of doctoral students. The doctoral dissertation must be obviously innovative in the field of architecture research. It can be an innovation in theoretical research and methodological approaches, or it can be a technological breakthrough. Doctoral students should independently complete their dissertations under the guidance of their supervisors. The dissertations should fully reflect that the graduate students have fully met the requirements specified in the " training goals "; the dissertations should have clear scientific innovation and be systematic, complete, and academic. ; The basic arguments, conclusions, and suggestions of the thesis should have greater academic value or greater theoretical or practical significance for economic, cultural, and social development.
2) The compulsory links that doctoral students need to complete include: literature review and topic selection plan report (second semester) , research method report (third semester) , thesis topic selection (third semester) , and postgraduate academic behavior standards (before mid-term exams) ) , academic and professional literacy lectures (before the mid-term exam) , mid-term exam (fourth semester) , academic seminar on the staged results of thesis (fifth or sixth semester) , foreign academic exchanges.
3) The dissertation opening report will be organized by each subject group on its own, and generally no later than the third semester. Basic requirements Opening report, the main content and the implementation of other organizations opening report, please refer to the same research, 158  "Tongji University doctoral degree graduate training work rules (revised in June 2012) ." The proposal report has been reviewed and passed and must be strictly implemented. In the research process of the thesis, if there is a major change in the topic of the thesis, a new topic selection report should be made.
4) The mid-term exams for doctoral students are organized by each subject group and sorted by subjects above the second level. Test scores hierarchical entry management information system, for the excellent performance ratio of ≤ 40%, the ratio of the good score of ≤ 40%, the results are not as qualified or by a ratio of not less than 20%. Those who fail the mid-term exam can apply for another exam 6 months later. For those who fail twice, the student status will be canceled.
5) Pre-defense: This discipline does not require a centralized pre-defense organization for doctoral students, and each discipline group can decide on its own.
6) Double-blind pre-review of the first draft of the dissertation of doctoral students is carried out. The double-blind pre-review should generally be conducted 2-3 months before the formal defense of the dissertation.
7) doctoral dissertation reviewers, defense organizations, the respondent approval, defense process, and to provide for early defense and defense of deferred see the same research No. 158 " Tongji University to pursue a doctorate graduate training work provisions (June 2012 Revised) ".
3. Academic dissertation: For doctoral students who apply for a doctorate, they should publish their research results in relevant journals or international conferences. For the rules on publishing academic results, please refer to the latest standards for doctoral and master's degrees published by the school.
For specific information about the international doctoral program of the School of Architecture and Urban Planning of Tongji University, please contact
SHARE THIS ARTICLE TO