Tsinghua University-logo
Tsinghua University




1.Q: What's the eligibility for international applicants for the undergraduate programs?

A: Applicants must satisfy the following requirements:

1.1 Foreign citizens, in good physical and mental health, and awarded a certificate of graduation from high school.


1.2 Academic performance

Outstanding academic performance. Proof should be provided through (but not limited to) the following document(s):

1.2.1 High school/University (if applicable) transcripts (in Chinese or English)

1.2.2 Certificate of National/Regional Graduation Examination/Matriculation Examination.

1.2.3 Results of international standard tests (e.g. SAT/ACT/A-Level/AP/IB/others). 

1.2.4 Other supporting materials.


1.3 Language proficiency:

1.3.1 Chinese language proficiency of HSK Level 5 or above, with each subject scored over 60 points. Chinese language proficiency of HSK Level 4 (with each subject scored over 60 points) is eligible too, however, applicants must improve to Level 5 or above with each subject scored over 60 points within the first academic year in Tsinghua University. Students who do not achieve this will be required to leave Tsinghua University. Applicants whose native language is Chinese, or can provide proof of studying at a high school where the teaching language is Chinese, can apply for an HSK test waiver in the Online Application System for further approval by Tsinghua University.  

1.3.2 Good English language proficiency. For those whose native language is not English, please provide a score report of the English language test (e.g. TOEFL/IELTS/others).


1.4 Aged 18 or above (by September 1, 2021). For the applicants under 18, please bring the relevant supporting documents to the official registration (Please see List of Uploading Documents in the Online Application System for details).


1.5 The conditions set by Document No. 12 (2020) of the Ministry of Education of the PRC should be met.


2.Q: If I am a Chinese citizen with a permanent residence in a foreign country, am I eligible to apply?

A: Sorry, you are not eligible. 2021 Undergraduate Programs of Tsinghua University (Admission for International Applicants) apply to foreign citizens only.


3. Q: If I have given up my original Chinese citizenship and become a foreign citizen, may I apply for the undergraduate programs?

A: For those who have given up their original Chinese citizenship and become foreign citizens, the conditions set by Document No. 12 (2020) of the Ministry of Education of the PRC should be met.


4. Q: How does the Comprehensive Evaluation system work?

A: First step: Online Application:

1) Create an account in the Online Application System;

2) Complete the application form during the application periods;

3) Upload the documents as required;

4) Apply and pay the application fee (800 RMB) online.

Second step: Comprehensive Evaluation:

1) Application review: applications submitted will be evaluated by the admission officers;

2) Integrative test: applicants who have passed the Application Review will be admitted to the integrative test. Test(s) for Arts Division applicants will be notified in advance. Applicants who apply for Architecture Division will go through the portfolio review.

The admission decision is based on a comprehensive evaluation of performance in high school, language ability, supporting materials as well as an integrative test (if applicable).


5. Q: Is there any difference among the three rounds of application?

A: There is no difference in application procedures among the three rounds, despite that the time of the application, the date of the interview, and the issuance of the results are different. Applicants who want to apply for Design/Fine Arts programs in Arts Division must apply in the first round. Other applicants are welcome to apply in any round.


6. Q: Is it necessary to have a graduation certificate from high school when I apply?

A: Certificate of expected graduation (the expected graduation time should be indicated) issued by the high school that will issue the diploma with (for applicants who will graduate from high school by August 2021) is needed. Also, the graduation certificate is required to be obtained before you register for the semester.


7. Q: Why is HSK level 4 the minimum requirement of Chinese language proficiency?

A: The undergraduate programs are mainly delivered in Chinese and English. Thus a good command of Chinese guarantees international students in knowledge understanding and daily communication with classmates. Meanwhile, to improve the Chinese proficiency (listening, speaking, reading, and writing) of international undergraduate students, a series of Chinese language courses will be offered. “General Situation of China” is also provided to help promote a better understanding of China.


8. Q: Where can I check the HSK Test Centers?

A: HSK Test is held by the Center for Language Education and Cooperation (CLEC). The test centers are all over the world. Test takers can check the nearest test center at 



9. Q: Is TOEFL or IELTS required for applicants whose native language is not English?

A: TOEFL/IELTS or any other English proficiency test may be used.


10. Q: Why are the Financial Sponsor Form and the Employment or Income Certificate required?

A: Those are necessary forms when the applicant is applying for a Chinese Visa.


11. Q: Do the applicants need to provide the original documents? When to provide them?

A: Yes, all the original copies of the documents provided in the Online Application System should be submitted to the integrative test/official registration. Tsinghua University will check all the documents. If any certificate provided proves to be fake, Tsinghua University will terminate the integrative test/admission of the applicants.


12. Q: How does Tsinghua recruit and cultivate students?

A: Starting from 2017, Tsinghua begins to integrate programs/majors into divisions and recruit students of undergraduate programs by division. There are 15 divisions open to international students.


13. Q: May I apply for a program in Clinical Medicine?

A: The division of Clinical Medicine is currently not open to international students. However, international applicants are welcome to apply for Pharmaceutical Science in Chemistry and Life Science Division of Biomedical Engineering in Electronic Information Division.


14.Q: What is the study mode for international undergraduate students?

A: International undergraduate students take the classes together with Chinese students, except for some courses which are open to international students only.


15. Q: Is there any undergraduate program in Tsinghua University that is fully delivered in English?

A: The undergraduate programs are mainly delivered in Chinese and English. In addition, there are up to 200 courses taught in English or bilingually.


16. Q: Does Tsinghua University accept transfer students?

A: Sorry, Tsinghua University doesn’t accept any transfer students.


17. Q: Are there any kind of entrance tutorial classes at Tsinghua University?

A: No, Tsinghua University doesn’t hold any kind of entrance tutorial class in any form. The Admissions Office of Tsinghua University never holds or cooperates with any individual, company, or institution to organize any form of profitable training activities related to application issues.


18. Q: How to apply for a visa and dormitory?

A: The formal Admission Notice and the entrance guidance documents (including the information about visa and dormitory) will be sent to the admitted applicants. Please read carefully and follow the instructions. Please complete visa and dormitory application in the required period.


19. Q: For the applicants under 18 (by September 1, 2021), what materials are required for applying for a residence permit after register at Tsinghua University?

A: Applicants under 18 (by September 1, 2021) must provide a certificate identifying a legal guardian in China. Guardian may be of any nationality and must have a source of income. Please refer to the entrance guide for the documentation needed when the applicant is applying for a residence permit.


20. Q: About scholarships

A: For the Chinese Government Scholarship, please refer to the official website of the Scholarship Council of China; For the Beijing International Student scholarship, it can be applied via Tsinghua in the International Student (Undergraduate) Application system. The outstanding international undergraduate freshmen can apply for tuition scholarships (full, half, or partial) for the first academic year. For the next two, three, or four years, the student will go through an evaluation via the school’s council to renew the scholarship. The results of the scholarship of upcoming freshmen will be posted in the application system. The student should verify the scholarship status in the system to avoid unnecessary payment before semester registration.


21. Q: what kind of school is Tsinghua University?

A: Tsinghua University is a multi-disciplinary university of technology, which focuses on cultivating engineering and technical talents for the country. It is known as the "cradle of red engineers". Since the reform and opening up, Tsinghua University has gradually established the long-term goal of building a world-class university and entered a new period of vigorous development. With the strong support of the state and society, Tsinghua University has made great progress in personnel training, scientific research, social services, cultural inheritance and innovation, and international cooperation and exchange through the implementation of the "211 Project" and "985 Project". At present, Tsinghua University has 21 colleges and 59 departments. It has become a comprehensive and research-oriented university with 11 disciplines including science, engineering, literature, art, history, philosophy, economics, management, law, education, and medicine.


22.Q: How much is the tuition fee for graduate students at Tsinghua University?

A:Tuition Fee of Graduate Programs:

Unit: RMB Yuan/Year
Degree Department For Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan Students For International Students
Master Department of Art History 10,000 45,000
Other Departments 20,000  
Doctoral   12,000 50,000



23. Q: I'm a foreign student and have not passed HSK yet. Can I take a professional examination first? If I pass the professional examination, can I be admitted?

A: All the courses will be taught in Chinese, so it is a requirement for foreign students (Master, Doctor) to reach HSK Level 6 (In the new HSK Exam, 180 points are mandated for passing Level 5). For the students who cannot get a certification of Chinese language ability for the time being, if they are confident, they can prepare for the application and HSK exam at the same time. If these students pass the professional exam, the academy will admit them at first, and when their language level meets the requirements for attending courses, they will be admitted officially. If they fail to pass HSK, they can keep their admission qualification and study Chinese in China. After they pass HSK, they will be able to register for schooling.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on Wechat