Introduction to doctoral enrollment
(1) Comprehensive information
Zhejiang University ranks among the top universities in China in terms of several doctoral degree programs and teaching quality. Hundreds of majors are distributed in the departments of science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, information, humanities, and social sciences.
Doctoral degree majors are generally taught in Chinese, and some majors can be taught in English. The length of schooling is 3-4 years. Graduates who complete their studies and meet the requirements of the national degree-granting regulations will receive a doctorate.
Please refer to the enrollment professional catalog
1. "Professional Catalogue of Doctoral Students in 2021"
2. "Professional Catalogue of English-taught Doctoral Students in 2021"
3. "2021 Haining International Campus Doctoral Program Catalog"
The school encourages applicants to search for relevant tutors in each research direction on the official website of each school and department in advance according to the research direction they have determined, and contact the relevant professional tutors of our school in advance. (Professional tutors and research directions can be found on the website of the Graduate School and the websites of various professional departments). If the relevant professional tutor agrees to accept it, please submit the acceptance form issued by the tutor together with the application materials.
(2) Application period
From now until March 31, 2021
The online application is subject to completion within the deadline.
For scholarship applicants, the application time is subject to the application date of various scholarships.
Note: Applicants must complete the online application in the International Student Application and Admissions System of Zhejiang University before the deadline, provide complete materials as required, and pay the application fee.
The school’s winter vacation is from January 29, 2021, to February 26, 2021. Application materials received during this period will be processed in time after the start of the new semester.
(3) Application fee, tuition, and insurance fee:
1. Application fee: RMB 800. Regardless of whether they are admitted or not, they will not be refunded.
Philosophy, literature, history
RMB 29,800/academic year
Economics, law, education, management, science, engineering, agriculture
RMB 34,800/academic year
Medicine, art, physical education
RMB 39,800/academic year
*Majors taught in English: tuition fee increased by RMB 8,000 per year.
**Please refer to the remarks column of the admissions catalog for the tuition fees of some special majors.
***Tuition fees are for reference only, and the specific fees at the time of enrollment shall prevail.
3. Insurance premium: RMB 800/year (please refer to item 9 of this enrollment guide for details)
4. Payment method: Applicants can pay the application fee and tuition online in the International Student Application and Admissions System of Zhejiang University.
(4) Application qualifications
Non-Chinese citizens who are under 40 years old (for those with certain work experience and academic research ability, the age can be appropriately relaxed), physical and mental health (no infectious diseases and physical or mental illnesses that affect normal learning), and good conduct non-Chinese citizens. Hold a valid foreign passport and have obtained a master's degree (for those who have not graduated at the time of application, a pre-graduation certificate must be provided, and a master's degree certificate must be obtained at the latest before admission).
Residents of Mainland China (Mainland), Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan who have immigrated to foreign countries, as international student applicants, must provide proof that their Chinese nationality has been canceled by the relevant regulations of the Ministry of Education.
Applicants who acquired foreign nationality at the time of birth in a foreign country, and whose parents were both Chinese citizens at the time of birth, or one of their parents were Chinese citizens, shall be implemented by Zhejiang Provincial Public Security Department Zhegong Waiting  210.
Language proficiency requirements:
1. For majors taught in Chinese, applicants must have a Chinese proficiency level of 180 (inclusive) of HSK Level 5;
2. English-taught majors do not require applicants' Chinese proficiency. Applicants from non-English speaking countries have a TOEFL score of at least 90 or an IELTS score of at least 6.5;
Our school’s TOEFL DI Code is C340, and TOEFL MyBest transcripts are accepted.
3. The school encourages applicants to actively provide GRE and NTS-GAT test scores.
(5) Materials to be provided when applying
Applicants must log in to the International Student Application and Admissions System of Zhejiang University, fill in clearly, and completely upload the following materials as required.
Those with incomplete application materials or those that do not meet the requirements will not be accepted, and the application materials sent by e-mail will be invalid. In addition, the school may request the applicant to provide supplementary materials according to the situation. Regardless of whether you are admitted or not, the application fee is not refundable.
There is no need to mail paper application materials. The paper version of the application materials will not be reviewed and processed.
1. "Zhejiang University International Postgraduate Admission Application Form".
To apply online, log in to the International Student Application and Admissions System of Zhejiang University, fill out online, and print out the "Application Form for International Students Admission to Zhejiang University" after submission. The applicant himself signs and pastes his personal ID photo (white background, size 35mm×45mm).
2. A copy of the individual's ordinary passport.
3. The original or notarized copy of the highest degree certificate.
If the applicant is a recent graduate, he/she must submit the expected graduation certificate issued by the school he/she is attending, and the original or notarized copy of the academic qualification certificate must be submitted after admission (the degree certificate must be obtained at the latest before admission).
Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
4. Original or notarized transcripts of master's degree and undergraduate stage. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
5. Copy of language (Chinese or English) proficiency test scores.
Applicants for Chinese-taught majors shall provide a copy of the HSK certificate.
Applicants for English-taught majors provide TOEFL or IELTS score certificates or other certificates that can reflect their English proficiency (not required for native English speakers).
6. Personal statement.
No less than 1500 words, written in Chinese or English. The content includes personal study, work experience, application reason, and research plan.
7. Recommendation letters from two professors or associate professors.
Written in Chinese or English, signed by the recommender, and attached with a contact number and email.
8. Published academic papers or academic results (if any).
9. "The 2021 version of the Zhejiang University Tutors' Intention Form for Accepting International Students" (if any).
Please note that this document should be provided by the applicant to the tutor on its own initiative, and the 2021 version must be used. Old versions are not accepted.
10. The school encourages applicants to actively provide test scores such as GRE and NTS-GAT.
11. Residents of Mainland China (Mainland), Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan who have immigrated to foreign countries, as international student applicants, are required to provide proof that their Chinese nationality has been canceled by the relevant regulations of the Ministry of Education.
12. Applicants who were born in a foreign country and obtained foreign nationality, if both or one of their parents is Chinese citizens, must provide (1) The applicant has obtained a foreign nationality certificate at birth; (2) The applicant’s parents (a Chinese citizen) were born before the birth of the applicant. Foreign permanent residence certificate.
(6) Selection method, admission, and notification
1. The school will review the applicant's application materials and select the best candidates for admission. After the applicant completes the online application in the International Student Application and Admissions System of Zhejiang University, the applicant's college and the department will conduct a preliminary qualification review, organize an interview, and report to the school for review after passing the preliminary review.
2. Announcement time of admission results: The International Education Institute will send admission materials such as "Admission Notice", "Visa Application Form for Studying in China", "New Students Admission Notice" and other admission materials to the admitted students from the end of July 2021.
Applicants can check the admission results in the International Student Application and Admissions System of Zhejiang University.
(7) Check-in and register
1. Admitted students must register and register at the school in strict accordance with the time specified in the admission notice. The original graduation certificate and degree certificate will be verified when registering. Those who fail to obtain the corresponding certificate will be disqualified for admission.
2. The opening of the journal will be at the end of August or the beginning of September 2021. The specific date is subject to the Admission Notice.
(8) Scholarship information
The scholarships that applicants for doctoral candidates of our school can apply for include:
Chinese Government Scholarship "Country Bilateral Project";
Chinese Government Scholarship "University Independent Enrollment Project";
Zhejiang University Scholarship;
Zhejiang Provincial Government Scholarship.
(9) Medical insurance
Cost: RMB 800/year
According to the regulations of the Chinese Ministry of Education, international students who come to our school to study must purchase comprehensive medical insurance in mainland China as a necessary condition for their registration for the new semester. Students who have not purchased the comprehensive medical insurance that meets the requirements at the time of registration will not be registered by the school.
Matters related to purchasing insurance will be notified in detail before registering. Those who are admitted should handle insurance affairs according to the instructions on the notice.
(10) Accommodation Arrangement
For accommodation information, please refer to the Life Guide column on the homepage of the International Education Institute website. The online room selection system will be open to admitted students in early August 2021.
Please refer to the notice for specific accommodation arrangements.
Mailing address: Office 418, International Education College Building, West District, Zijingang Campus, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Postal Code: 310058
Phone: +86 571 8795 1537
Fax: +86 571 87951755