June 10, 2020, Global higher education research institute, the editor and publisher of QS World University Rankings released the latest 2021QS World University Rankings.
The 2021 QS World University Rankings are compiled by the global higher education research organization QS Quacquarelli Symonds, which ranks the top 1,000 universities in the world. The QS World University Rankings is currently the world's most consulted and most extensive university rankings. In the latest QS World University Rankings, three top Chinese universities have achieved the highest rankings in the history of their QS rankings.
Tsinghua University once again broke the highest-ranking of Chinese universities set last year, rising from 16th to 15th in the world. This is mainly due to the improvement of Tsinghua's academic reputation and research influence index score: it ranks third among Asian universities. Fudan University (increased from 40th to 34th in the world) and Shanghai JiaoTong University (47th in the world) also set their respective best results in their history, entering the world's top 50 first time.
This year's QS World University Rankings further revealed the gratifying performance of China's continuous improvement in higher education. Compared with last year, the world's top 1,000 universities in mainland China have increased by nine, and China has 41 high-quality universities in the world's top 1,000.
Performance Analysis of Universities in China
- A total of 41 universities in mainland China participated in this ranking. Among these 41 universities, 9 universities are on the list for the first time, 15 universities have improved in their rankings, and 17 universities have fallen in their rankings;
- One of the indicators of this ranking: QS's academic reputation evaluation index shows that the highest academic reputation rating university in mainland China is Peking University (ranked 23rd in the world), with an academic reputation index score of 99.2/100;
- Another QS ranking index, the QS Employer Reputation Index, shows that among the 44,000 employers (hiring managers and CEOs) who participated in the QS survey, graduates of Peking University once again received the highest evaluation, with an employer reputation score of 99.1/100 ；
- In general, Chinese universities have performed well in the "number of citations of unit faculty papers" index. Among the top 51 Chinese universities, 29 universities have improved their scores year by year, which shows that the academic research influence of mainland Chinese universities has been increasing;
- However, the performance of the QS "faculty-student ratio" indicator of universities in mainland China has declined, and the score in the QS employer reputation indicator has also decreased;
- The University of Science and Technology of China scored 99.2/100 in the QS "number of citations of unit faculty papers", ranking seventh in the world, indicating that University of Science and Technology of China has world-class high-quality research scholars.
China university QS ranking 2021
|47||Shanghai Jiao Tong University|
|93=||The University of Science and Technology of China|
|260=||Harbin Institute of Technology|
|263||Sun Yat-sen University|
|279=||Beijing Normal University|
|303=||Xi'an Jiaotong University|
|323=||Southern University of Science and Technology|
|392=||Beijing Institute of Technology|
|396=||Huazhong University of Science and Technology|
|446=||University of Science and Technology Beijing|
|462=||South China University of Technolog|
|501-510||East China Normal University|
|531-540||Northwestern Industry University|
|571-580||China University of Geosciences|
|581-590||Renmin University of China|
Ben Sowter, Research Director of QS, said: “Educators in China who are responsible for promoting the internationalization of Chinese higher education have realized that targeted strategic investments in specific universities will help create a world-class higher education system. The latest results of the QS World University Rankings also further certify the positive impact of China's 211 Project and 985 Project on the field of higher education."
Sowter continued: "The outstanding performance of Chinese universities in research fields has become more and more unquestionable, and Chinese universities can still become more competitive in more fields. Especially if you want to increase the employment competition of Chinese university graduates. The cooperation between universities and the social industry will provide vital support for students to prepare for the 21st century’s workplace. Our research shows that high-quality higher education will change people's lives and enable students to succeed in the future. Stand out in career development."